Re: J. Rad. Protection

Logic and ethics in radiation protection
Bo Lindell
Swedish Radiation Protection Authority (SSI), SE-17116 Stockholm, Sweden

E-mail: bo.lindell@alfa.telenordia.se
Received 24 September 2001, accepted for publication 16 October 2001
Published 20 November 2001

Abstract. The International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP) continues to accept the assumption of a linear non-threshold dose-response relationship (LNT) as the most likely one. In that case, basic logic as well as widely accepted ethics require that the full collective dose be used for detriment assessments and in procedures for optimisation of radiation protection. This means that even the smallest doses must be taken into account in the assessment of the global collective dose if they contribute significantly together. However, in calculating collective doses over time, some reasonable restriction of the integration period has to be employed, mainly because of the uncertainties involved in the assessment of future detriment. There are also uncertainties in the LNT assumption, but the precautionary principle would not permit that this is taken as an excuse for neglecting small doses.

As much as I respect Bo Lindell, this strikes me as little more than self-serving ICRP nonsense. The only "logic" cited to support LNT seems to be "because I say so, that's why". Such "logic" might be sufficient for parents to use on small children, but for adults, much less scientists, it leaves a lot to be desired.
If we buy the preposterous "precautionay principle" then there could be no such thing as a trivial risk and we would be condemned to do nothing at all, since all human activities involve some risk.
Also, what is the "logic" behind ignoring future detriment because of uncertainties, while ignoring uncertainties (i.e. LNT) in assessing near-term detriment.