The Quiz: Chernobyl thyroid cancer incidence="radioiodine confused scientists"

You wrote:

.....that only young infants were affected by the

accident.   Does

that make sense?

Mike Lantz

----------------------

Mike,

Here is a Quiz on the Chernobyl Radio-iodines:

Your question:

Were the only young infants affected by the

accident? Does that make sense?

Here are the Key Answers:

a) Yes.

b) No.

c) Yes, it does make sense if you are trying to

make interpretation of the chronological infant

data.....

D) No, if there is no reliable dose correlation

to CANCER data for the Chernobyl radio-iodine

INTAKE/UPTAKE; air concentrations, specifically.

E) No, As far as I know "Radio-iodine Air

Concentration Data" is a problem with the

Chernobyl radio-iodine dose induced CANCER

incident studies in other words the lack of the

IMMEDIATE after the accident collected data =>

reliable source term data.

The reason: It was impossible to perform the

accident emergency response procedures WHEN the

ACCIDENT has not been acknowledged, yet...

There were

"four-days-later-flying-air-plane-collected-data".

That data hardly can be called as reliable

accident data.....at least in the power plant

world.

I do not know of

any-good-meteorological-radio-iodine-decay-dose-reconstruction-data.

Is it possible to do? May be, yes, but it is a

very laboureous work to do compare to

collecting-chronological-infant-thyroid-cancer-papers-and-

printing-them-into-a-scientific-paper-magazine.

f) No, Retrospectively, if MDs in Kiev (O.B.s

doctors) were giving LNT RECOMMENDATIONS to the

pregnant women to have abortions even when they

were six months and more into the

pregnancy....some people in the USA and many

other countries characterized that type of a late

term abortion as "killing the babies"

if it is so,

I have my own question about those recommended

interuptions for you colleagues:

How many babies were KILLED as the result of

RUMORS/SPECULATIONS about the CHERNOBYL

RADIATION?

a) 100

b) 1000

c) 10,000

d) 100,000..

As a matter as fact the wives of the deceased

Chernobyl fire fighters, who was in fact in the

Pripyat, during the accident, did refuse to

follow those recommends because of the the fact

that future babies were only the living memories

of their deceased husbands and they later had

perfectly healthy babies!!!

Back to the topic:

How had those "recommended" interruptions of the

pregnancy affected on the mentioned

"epidemiological" studies?

It is hard to determine, because of the human

bias factor...

Human bias factor:

g) No. Did those women who choosed

"interruptions" were REALLY exposed to the

significant amount of the radio-iodines?

or,

i) No. May be they lived outside of the

"significantly effected" areas and they were

rather exposed to the "LNT RUMORS" and just

panicked by those "LNT rumors" about FOUR and

FIVE HEADED newborn Chernobyl babies???!!!!!

j) No. Or, Yes......you may choose you own

here:______

More of the RUMORS and SPECULATIONS.

k) Yes, I hope those MDs(OBs) would not need to

do ANY of those recommends/speculations, again,

BUT if they would have to, they WONT

recommend/speculate the same again...

(Sometimes-semiannually-revised-breast-cancer-screening-age-depended-recommends-make-some-poeple-looked-like-having-license-to-spread-rumors-to-confuse-more-already-health-concerned-people).

l. NO! because, there is NO CLEAR and

PRESENT(proven) CANCER DANGER associated with the

SMALL doses of the ionized radiation, including a

dose from the reactor by-product radio-iodines.

Or

m) Yes! May be, is it possible that small doses

of the ionized radiation had a POSITIVE effect

and KILLED those NOCCs (NATURALLY OCCURRING

CANCER CELLs) and it's of course IS a PURE

speculation on my part because there were absent

of D and E

( see above D & E)

FACTS:

n) Yes, There always were more of the

phycological based misunderstandings

/confusions/abuses/harms about the small doses of

the radiation than their actual proven harms.

I hope, I did not bring more of the confusion

into

"radio-iodine-confused-scientists-discussion" :-)

A nice rest of the week for everyone.

Emil.

From: "North, David"

Subject: RE: Lancet Dec. 8th abstract - Chernobyl

thyroid cancer incidence

I think that the point of the article is that the

thyroid cancers show up in

those children who were born before the accident

of 4/26/86 because they

were actively consuming foodstuffs from the

environment (milk, veggies,

etc.) on their own when the I-131 was released.

Those born immediately after

the accident presumably had not been weaned by

the time the I-131 had

decayed substantially. If they ingested any via

breast milk, it was heavily

filtered by their mothers first. The article

could have been more explicit

about this reasoning, assuming I have interpreted

it correctly.

> ----------

> From: 	Mike Lantz

> "However, scarcity of reliable estimates of

individual thyroid dose has

> hindered conclusions

> about the exact effect of the Chernobyl

accident on thyroid glands in

> children."

> "The major difference in background was that

children in group I (born

> after the accident;

> 0.00%) were not exposed to fallout, whereas

those in groups II (Born

> within months; 0·04%) and

> III (born before; 0.32%) were probably exposed

to fallout in utero or

------------

> I've read the article now; thanks for the link.

 Their results would imply

> that "in utero"

> photon exposure or the uptake of radio-iodine

to a developing fetus is an

> insignificant

> effect;  that only young infants were affected

by the accident.   Does

----------------------------

> "Michael C. Baker" wrote:

> > The following abstract may be of interest.

> > ----------------------------

> > 15 years after Chernobyl: new evidence of

thyroid cancer

> > Yoshisada Shibata, Shunichi Yamashita,

Vladimir B Masyakin, Galina D

> > Panasyuk, Shigenobu Nagataki

> > The Chernobyl nuclear power plant accident

happened on April 26, 1986.

> We investigated the cause of the striking

increase in frequency of thyroid

> > cancer in children who lived within a 150 km

radius of Chernobyl and who

> > were born before and after the accident. No

thyroid cancer was seen in

> 9472 children born in 1987-89, whereas one and

31 thyroid cancers were

> recorded in 2409 children born April 27, 1986,

to Dec 31, 1986, and 9720 born Jan

> 1, 1983, to April 26, 1986, respectively.

Short-lived radioactive fallout caused by the

Chernobyl accident probably induced thyroid

cancer in

http://www.thelancet.com/journal/vol358/iss9297/full/llan.358.9297.origina

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com