Re: Ship Yard Workers - John Boice

 From: "John Williams" <JohnWi@law.com>

> Dr. Long,

> Have you read the paper?  I think Dr. Boice's resume speaks for

> itself.

It does.

>Please hold his credentials against those that you extol.

Right. So his title should be "Don?" "Ring leader?" Of course the

self-promoting LNT leadership produces good resumes - they have the funds

and appointment powers. As a high-level NCI authority said to us in response

to proposing to do a variation of then current research that would readily

confirm beneficial effects in animals: "That's not how we get our

researchers tenure." DOE committed $millions to put Howe at Columbia, and

then put him in charge of US RERF, from NAS (defeated, but with "Blue Ribbon

Panel" led by Roger Clarke, got RERF attentionagainst straying from the

party line, especially after the lifetime study of the radium dial painters

was killed after 10 years when they got the wrong answers.  $millions put

Samet, from nowhere, as Epi Chair at Johns Hopkins, (continuing  Matanoski

funds for the Shipyard Worker study in '94 to leave as Chair, but never

publish the study.)

Now Boice has left "gov't service" to be "independent consultant

epidemiologist" (with more "appointments" to important committees to meet in

nice places)?  and financial rewards with good "contracts?"  The people

doing the real, honest, science don't get such lucrative appointments and

sinecures to reward a life spent in service of their fellow travelers.

Also Note: It's courtesy to include the msg you are responding to,

especially on a mailing list where many don't have the luxury to keep up

with all msgs.

Regards, Jim