Re: Source of cancer data

"I am not talking about the Iowa Radon Study, which most

epidemiologist believe is the state-of-the-art Radon Study. It is

even highlighted on the EPA web site:  http://www.epa.gov/iaq/radon/ "

Seems only a year or so ago that this controversy over the studies by

Cohen and the one by Field, et al took place on Radsafe. Now the same

ground has been reviewed again - which was fine until seeing: "... even

highlighted on the EPA web site ..." Suddenly, the discussion changed

for me from a disagreement over the interpretation of scientific data to

political comedy. To cite "highlighting by the EPA" as an endorsement of

scientific research is an utter oxymoron. There can be little doubt that

quality science and scientists do exist within the EPA. In my judgment,

however, the EPA has been an awesome political entity throughout its

entire devious life.. It epitomizes my pet peeve of the political abuse

of science. EPA has a long record of submerging science by means of

political power. For years, the result has been to impose wasteful

requirements on the nation. This record ranges in small part from DDT

through acid rain, alar, dioxin, second hand smoke, and MTBE up to

anthropogenic global climate change. Highlighted by EPA? What a dreary

recommendation! I think, Mr. Williams, that one cost you ten attaboys

.... Prof. Cohen, your patience is remarkable.

Cheers,

Maury Siskel    maury@webtexas.com

Mark Hogue wrote (in part):

"This is pretty funny, to appeal to the "authority" of the EPA when

discussing a scientific issue with people who should be assumed capable

of thinking on their own about the subject. I encourage others to check

out this link and find out how appreciated one can be if one justifies

an EPA project. Read the gushing quotes about the article!"