abstract: Childhood leukemia in Belarus

I thought some of you might be interested in the following abstract.

Mike ... mcbaker@lanl.gov

----------------------

Radiation and Environmental Biophysics

Volume 40 Issue 4 (2001) pp 259-267

Childhood leukemia in Belarus before and after the Chernobyl accident:

continued follow-up

V. N. Gapanovich, R. F. Iaroshevich, L. P. Shuvaeva, S. I. Becker, E. A.

Nekolla, A. M. Kellerer

Abstract: Earlier assessments led to the conclusion that due to the added

radiation after the Chernobyl accident, childhood leukemia in Belarus was

not recognisably increased in the years 1987-1994 compared to the years

1982-1986, i.e. the period before the accident. The present paper gives the

data of the continued follow-up (1995-1998) which was conducted by the

Institute of Haematology and Blood Transfusion, Minsk. In line with the

earlier observations no increase has been identified. The incidence rates

have been compared to the data of the newly established Belarussian

Childhood Cancer Registry and a tentative explanation is given for apparent

differences between the rates from our follow-up and the data reported

earlier by the Belarussian Childhood Cancer Registry.