Re: Source of cancer data

In a message dated 12/26/01 12:06:49 PM Mountain Standard Time, hflong@postoffice.pacbell.net cites John Williams:

> In most rigorous epidemiologic studies, such as case-control and
> cohort studies, the basic unit of analysis is the individual. Each
> individual is classified in terms of exposure and disease status.
> However, in ecologic epidemiologic studies, the unit of analysis is
> some aggregate group of individuals.

I have no formal training in epidemiology.  However, there appears to me to be something wrong with this statement.

Am I wrong in thinking that epidemiology inherently is the study of groups?  Epidemiology reveals correlations, not causes of disease.  In general, every individual in a group studied does not get the disease being studied.  A case-control study is powerful because it provides much better control of confounding factors than an "ecological" study, but a case-control study is clearly still a study involving groups, not individuals.  If every member of a group exhibits the symptoms of a disease, and no member of the control group does, then one may have gone beyond epidemiology to find the cause of the disease.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com