Re: Genders - Ethics, Definitions

In a message dated 1/5/02 10:49:09 AM Central Standard Time,

RuthWeiner@AOL.COM writes:

<< According to my dictionary (Webster's) "ethical" means (1) relating to

 ethics: the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty

 and obligation, (2) involving or expressing moral approval or disapproval,

 (3) conforming to accepted professional standards of conduct. >>

Jeez, some of Websters definitions seem to be as screwy as some of the logic

posted by the anti's - a mobius circle of synonymous terms...  Since

communication should involve full duplication of that which is intended, I

offer the following in hopes that a more complete understanding of the basis

of current thread can be described.

One of the definitions that I personally favor, with respect to "ethics" must

first be defined in terms of "Morals" or "Moral Codes."  As I have come to

understand it, a moral code is a precept or commitment held by a group (read

also: an area or activity...) that promotes the survival of that group (or

area, or activity).  "Ethics" has to do with the degree of adherence by the

individuals of THAT group (or area, or activity).

As an example, say I was one of the Israelites fleeing Egypt and was

wandering around lost in the desert for forty years.  Early on, this group

came across a herd of wild pigs, some of which were ill.  Following a roast

pig banquet, some members of the group became very ill; some died.  As a

result of this, the group adopted the "Moral Code" or "Law" that forbid it's

members to eat dead or dying pigs. Or pigs / pork in general.  Now.  I get

very hungry on my diet of manna and decide that the next pig I find, I'm

gonna eat it and not tell anyone.  This would be an "Unethical" action on my

part should I succeed in carrying out this plan since I'm a member of that

group who, for survival purposes, has written pork off the menu.  Ethics is a

personal thing.  Morals, within the context of this definition, would simply

refer to the moral codes of a group (or area, or activity) in the aggregate.

Justice would be considered to be the action the group takes on the

"unethical" elements of a group ( or area, activity, societal group, etc.)

[This is from one of the definitions of An Introduction to Scientology Ethics

by L. Ron Hubbard.}  This is one of the reasons that such things as

"Congressional Ethics Committees" never actually get anything done in the way

of a code of conduct; they're already wrapped around the pole in confusion

about what they're attempting to correct or address...

Just to keep this on-topic, I regard it as unethical that none of the

anti-nuke K--K Kamp ever took up my challenge on describing how to create the

capacity for a renewable energy source (replacing that of nuclear) without

resulting in the radiation exposure of persons or habitat on planet earth

thereby eliminating the need or utility for Nuclear Power generation.  I bet

they eat dead pigs too!

Regards,

Neil Keeney

RRPT