UN Report on Chernobyl; Radiation vs. Stress

Good afternoon all,

I don't contest the issue about stress-related illnesses

being induced by wholesale evacuations and relocations.

I think that the detriments of these disruptions were

probably not correctly evaluated in the ALARA

determinations (i.e., not adequately addressing quality

of life issues); more damage was done than avoided.  From

what I have understood both from reading and discussions

with colleagues in Russia, the initial conditions

justified evacuation; what may not have been justified

was the long-termed exclusion from the zones once the

situation had been brought under control.

There is another generic aspect of this I would like to

address.  There seems to be an operational assumption

that the ONLY health effect from radiation exposure is

cancer.  From a mechanical perspective, cancer is easily

measured in mortality studies, and at higher doses it is

fairly easy to demonstrate the link.  Morbidity (getting

sick but not necessarily dieing) is not so easily

measured.  Because of the difficulty of performing such

a study, there aren't that many morbidity studies on

radiation; and those that do exist are pretty much open

to interpretation as to cause.  I have always been

curious if there were effects from radiation that were

present, but that could not be found due to the

limitations of morbidity studies.  And if these effects

exist, then how can we say that cancer is the only

endpoint?

I spent some time looking into the literature on

non-carcinogenic effects.  There is a study out of

Obninsk (Ivanov) that demonstrates a link between

non-carcinogenic effects and dose. There are several

reports of an "accelerated aging" effect being seen in

liquidators.  I think there is good evidence from

radiobiology literature that suggests moderate doses of

radiation (delivered at relatively high dose rates) can

trigger illness (especially if stress is also involved).

There is clear evidence that the neurologic system is

functionally sensitive to radiation (at fairly high dose

rates, but remarkably low doses).  In certain

individuals, this sensitivity could trigger sickness

behaviors.

I don't think this is an issue with residents of the

Chernobyl affected areas (doses and dose rates were too

low), but I do think it is a factor with the liquidators

(and perhaps a contributor to illnesses in the Mayak

populations as well).

I wrote a paper on the subject that was recently

published in Medical Hypotheses.  The abstract is

available at:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retr

ieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11601868&dopt=Abstract

If any of you would like a reprint, please email me and I

will get a copy to you.

Jim Barnes, CHP

james.g.barnes@att.net

========================

Friends,

Confirming the LNT fraud continues! Maybe its time that

we reconsider

radiation health effects and radiation protection

policies that

increasingly demonstrate only a willingness to defraud

the public!? (As

the head of one national program hissed at me in 1999,

"You just want to

kill the golden goose!")

Note that the UN reports here are NOT just UNSCEAR, but

the Development

Programme and UNICEF!

Do you have access to the UN Report, or other media

reports?

Regards, Jim Muckerheide

Radiation, Science, and Health

 'Myth' of Chernobyl suffering exposed

Relocation and hand-outs have caused more illness than

radiation, a new

UN study concludes.

Anthony Browne

Sunday January 6, 2002