Cases and Controls

Dr. Long,

Your statement that the percent of smoking cases need to match

the percent of smoking controls in a case control study is

erroneous.  I am sure if this was a fatal flaw with the study, the

American Journal of Epidemiology would never of published it.  If you

think it is a flaw, why don't you write a letter to the editors of

the journal.  The AJE is the most pretigious epidemiologic journal

published.  Most people with training in Epidemiology would know that

in a population-based case-control study, such as Iowa, the controls

represent the population of subjects in the state who have not

developed lung cancer.  The researchers in the Iowa study matched

their cases to controls by 5 year age groups and gender.  Researchers

routinely have some factors risk factors that are not balanced.  The

nice thing about a case-control study, unlike an ecologic study, is

that there are routine procedures to adjust for the effect of smoking

since you have individual smoking data.

I see from the archieves that Dr. Raabe discussed this previously on

the list.

Overall, I think Dr. Field provided a more substantial and defensive

view on the radon debate than Dr. Becker.

Sent by Law  Mail