Thank you for your encouragement Re: discussion of "effectivedose"

Title: Thank you for your encouragement Re: discussion of "e
Dear Chris
I hope others feel it would be useful. A problem is that few health physicists have thought about this problem.  There are two books which would provide relevant background (besides NCRP Report No. 104 on RBE):
Radiation Protection Quantities: A Radical Reappraisal by Jack Simmons and David Watt
available for Medical Physics Publishing (www.medicalphysics.org)
and Has Radiation Protection become a health hazard Gunnar Walinder co-published by Medical Physics Publishing.
        The following articles by Harald Rossi discuss some aspects of the problem:
Rossi, H.H. Limitation and assessment in radiation protection. 8th Lauriston Taylor Lecture. National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurement. Bethesda, MD; 1984.

Rossi, H.H. Sensible radiation protection. Health Physics.70(3): 394; 1996.
[In this article Rossi states that radiation protection quantities are in a "state of chaos."]

Rossi, H.H. Zaider, M. Radiogenic lung cancer. The effects of low doses of low-LET radiation. Rad. and Env. Biophys. 36(2): 85; 1997.

 Rossi, H.H. It is Time for Change HPS Newsletter December 1997 pp 8-9

Rossi, H.H. LN-T and Politics HPS Newsletter January 2000
        I am sure there must be other relevant articles but I'm not aware of them. In 1995 I tried to publish a critique of radiation protection quantities in Health Physics but it was rejected  as "an attack on NCRP". Of course, that is part of the problem.
        Your suggestions would be welcome. It will take many years before any changes can be made. Discussing it on the list server should help the education part of the problem.
Best wishes, John
--
John R. Cameron, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus,UW-Madison