RE: Mechanisms are Needed to Explain Cohen's Data - Lipton

Bill--

This is a marketing question. If we only bought what we needed, we would

restrict our purchases to food, clothing, and shelter (theoretically). See

Paul Pilzer for more on real economics. The public isn't paying for it

directly, and since they aren't crying "foul" on the regulators, it will

continue. I look at it in a way similar to health insurance. If we were

paying for our own, many of us would have none (due to the cost-benefit,

i.e., use, analysis or just too expensive), many of us would only have major

medical for the same reason, and those who really needed it would pay the

most. If the public were paying directly, and optionally, for "radiation

protection," probably fewer than 10 percent would do it. Can you really

picture a bunch of environmentalists trying to earn a living by attempting

to convince people to actually spend their own money to buy the latest and

greatest in radiation protection innovations? They only push it because it's

OPM (other people's money). John Cameron and Bernie Cohen are putting their

money behind their words (or in Dr. Cohen's case, additionally, turning off

a system he spent money on). To me, that's objective science (that should be

redundant, but unfortunately it isn't). Which is why I said a week or so ago

I didn't believe the Nobel scientists who claim HIV doesn't cause AIDS would

be injecting themselves with the virus to prove their cases.

Jack Earley

Radiological Engineer