From: Michael Ford [mailto:MFORD@PANTEX.COM]

Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 9:16 AM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Re: Mechanisms are Needed to Explain Cohen's Data - Lipton

Bill and the multitude of others,

I certainly understand your feelings on this matter.  The whole thread may

SEEM to have gone on far too long, BUT this discussion centers on the "linch

pin" for our profession and why we do what we do in many cases.

In your situation, Bill, monitoring worker exposures and mitigating those

exposures in NPP environments is certainly a defensible activity.  However,

the millions, billions, and trillions, that are being spent in the name of

Health Physics, Radiation Protection, ALARA, etc., require that we actually

demonstrate, at some point in time, that what we are doing has some

scientific basis associated with it.  (For example, 15 mrem/yr (EPA) vs. 25

mrem/yr (NRC) - - what's the impact of either and how is that

demonstrated??)

The discussion on radon goes to the very root of the LNT model that is the

basis for our current regulations.  IMHO (only!), it seems that this is

fairly germane to the RADSAFE community.

Maybe as a suggestion to those who are engaged in these discussions, we

could agree to use a keyword (radon, LNT, epi-study, etc.) that would allow

those not interested in the discussion to delete the message or set up a

filter to automatically delete the message.

Have a great day!

v/r

Michael