Re: Is it too late?

In a message dated 1/15/02 3:24:54 PM Mountain Standard Time, sandyfl@EARTHLINK.NET writes:

Bill is absolutely correct. There is absolutely nothing that we can do in the short term
to turn public opinion  /govt. regulator opinion around. Of course the govt. just feeds
off of public opinion, and do not necessarily agree with the ultra-conservative
approach taken in many of their actions.

Do you guys REALLY believe this?  Maybe you are just not old-time activists like me!  First -- look at the history of regulation and then tell me you need to change public opinion first.  Nonsense!

I think it is necessary to keep plugging away with good epidemiology and good science.  And why do you expect that the "third generation" will wake up?  I find young people, on the average, no smarter or dumber than old people but often with a whole lot less knowledge and (dare I say it) wisdom.  Yes, I was young too.  And not near as knowledgable as I am now.

To paraphrase Diana Trilling:  children are no more intelligent than the adults they grow up to be.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com