RE: LNT

I think some of the range mentioned may be appropriate

for mice but I think it's too high for humans.  The

gangrene may have been cured but were there after

effects?

I just read Parsons' QRB article today.  In it the

evolutionary aspects of variation in natural

background levels (_including_ geographic outliers

i.e. monazite sand region of Brazil and Ramsar Iran)

are very important. Levels above those found in nature

involve stress-derived hormesis (that transitions to

harm) rather than background hormesis.

7-14 cGy/y was sufficient to increase the lifespan of

mice(Caratero et al. 1998).

Very interesting subject as I used to study

temperature stresses and adaptation albeit on insects.

Parsons studied temperature and EtOH stresses and

adaptation in _Drosophila_ inhabiting rotting fruit

(lots of heat and alcohol in that mess) and found

adaptive responses that led him to the hormesis

theories as a generalized hypothesis.

Caratero A, Courtade M, Bonnet L, Planel H, Caratero

C.1998.   Effect of a continuous gamma irradiation at

a very low dose on the life span of mice.

Gerontology. 1998;44(5):272-276.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9693258&dopt=Abstract

Parsons PA.  2001.  The hormetic zone: an ecological

and evolutionary perspective based upon habitat

characteristics and fitness selection.   Q Rev Biol.

76(4):459-467. (abstract already to list)

Parsons PA.  1999. Low level exposure to ionizing

radiation: do ecological and evolutionary

considerations imply phantom risks?     Perspect Biol

Med. Autumn;43(1):57-68.  (no abstract available)

~Ruth Sponsler aka Ruth 2

http://www.orau.com/ptp/collection/quackcures/quackcures.htm

> In the '20s low dose radiation (to a few hundred

> rad) stopped gangrene

> in its tracks, virtually eliminating amputations and

> death when not

> advanced to terminal conditions.

> Regards, Jim

> =========