Re: Lung cancer mortality from radon versus mortality from other cancers

No, the first cancer is called the primary cancer, the metastases is called

a secondary cancer.  When a SEER (http://seer.cancer.gov/) state collects

data, they try to discern which is the primary.  It often takes CT or

autopsies etc to figure it out.  Normally with lung cancer, it is recognized

first because of a cough, pneumonia etc. and then the secondary cancers

appear at a later stage.  But, your right, the patient often dies from other

causes than lung cancer.  That is a problem with ecologic studies that rely

on just death certificates.

Don Smith