Iodine in a plume as a gas

We are reviewing an air dispersion model of effluent from the stack of a BWR.  The authors of the study used the Industrial Source Complex model Short Term Version (ISCST3) to estimate long term (years) exposure to iodine-131, using I-131 emissions data reported to the NRC.  They indicate that this is an EPA approved model.  We have several concerns that we are seeking advice on:

1. We have not used the ISCST3 model for modeling nuclear power plant emissions and would like to know if anyone in the nuclear industry is using this model.  If so, are there any particular strengths and weaknesses of the ISCST3 model for estimating I-131 exposures?

2. Does I-131 behave as a gas at distances of up to 10 miles from the plant?  Our specific concern is that plate out on surfaces and adsorption of iodine on air particulates would be limiting factors in accurately assessing exposrues.

3. Is there a "standard" model for the nuclear industry that is generally used to assess downwind exposures to I-131.

Any relevant thoughts and comments would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Gerald Nicholls

NJ Department of Environmental Protection

609-633-7964

gnicholl@dep.state.nj.us