RE: Iodine in a plume as a gas

The standard model that NRC uses for nuclear power plants, long-term

dispersion is the computer code XOQDOQ.  This code includes specific modeling

for the deposition and depletion of radioiodines and particulates.  However,

in using the model it is also important to have an understanding of the

different deposition rates for the different radioiodines species from

nuclear power plants.  Studies performed in the 70's showed that the iodine

was roughly even distributed between particulate, HOI and organis species.

There are exceptions, such as BWR reactor building vent (if I remember

correctly).  The particulate form of iodine deposits - more like a

particulate.  However, the other forms deposit with a much lower deposition

rate, and actually appears to be associated more with moisture and

condensation (again if I remember correctly studies done by INEL in the

mid-70's).

The XOQDOQ code is available from RSICC at ORNL.  We incorporated this code

into the suite of codes, LADTAP (liquid effluent dose assessment), GASPAR

(gaseous effluent dose assessment) and XOQDOQ (annual average met

dispersion).

Hope this helps.

Stewart Bland