Re: Lung cancer mortality..../primary vs. secondary tumors

>No, the first cancer is called the primary cancer, the metastases is called

>a secondary cancer. When a SEER (http://seer.cancer.gov/) state collects

>data, they try to discern which is the primary. It often takes CT or

>autopsies etc to figure it out. Normally with lung cancer, it is recognized

>first because of a cough, pneumonia etc. and then the secondary cancers

>appear at a later stage. But, your right, the patient often dies from other

>causes than lung cancer.

---

Right after George Harrison died the Swedish no. one sensational newspaper

("Aftonbladet") wrote in one larger article that he had died from brain

cancer (bold introduction text, and no direct comment was made to his

smoking BTW) - other sources indicated that the primary was in the upper

bronchial region (or pharynx). A pity I think that the newspaper missed this

opportunity to educate the public - I wrote to Aftonbladet and pointed this

out in 2-3 sentences but they were not interested. Lung cancer deaths still

increases in Sweden - for women it has doubled in 20 years - for men it is

decreasing somewhat.

My personal reflection only.

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com