Re: Radiation and health

Howard,

Dr. Raabe, are you a statistician and did you do what he said below?

Concerning SEER. SEER data is the gold standard for epidemiology studies.

They go beyond just death certificates. The NCI's Surveillance,

Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program of the National Cancer

Institute is the most authoritative source of information on cancer

incidence and survival in the United States. Case ascertainment for SEER

began on January 1, 1973, in the states of Connecticut, Iowa, New Mexico,

Utah, and Hawaii and the metropolitan areas of Detroit and San

Francisco-Oakland. In 1974-1975, the metropolitan area of Atlanta and the

13-county Seattle-Puget Sound area were added. In 1978, 10 predominantly

black rural counties in Georgia were added, followed in 1980 by the addition

of American Indians residing in Arizona. Three additional geographic areas

participated in the SEER program prior to 1990: New Orleans, Louisiana

(1974-1977); four counties in New Jersey (1979-1989); and Puerto Rico

(1973-1989). The National Cancer Institute also began funding a cancer

registry that, with technical assistance from SEER, collects information on

cancer cases among Alaska Native populations residing in Alaska. In 1992,

the SEER Program was expanded to increase coverage of minority populations,

especially Hispanics, by adding Los Angeles County and four counties in the

San Jose-Monterey area south of San Francisco.

-------------Long wrote:

Otto Raabe, statistician at UCDavis, did state the statistical case for

Cohen's data refuting LNT, on radsafe, a few months ago.

I believe mortality rates (and I do sign death certificates so I know the

problems there) more than I believe incidence data like Field's (and I

>also make diagnoses, so I know the problems there, too).

We are going to have to sign off because of classes.

Dons