Re: Radon Exposure Assessment for Cases

Sorry Don,

My comment about causality was not very clear:

There are 2 ways of increasing the radon levels in a house: 1) increase the

source term and 2) reduce the ventilation. An increased source term would

most likely show up as high basement readings while reduced ventilation

would show up as a smaller difference between basement and main floor.

If the cause for excess cases was high cumulative radon exposures (let's

assume radon exposure is 100% determined by the main floor concentration), I

would expect some of the high exposures (high main floor readings) to be

caused by high source terms and some of the high exposures to be caused by

low ventilation. That means that I would expect both higher average basement

readings AND smaller differences between basements and main floors.

Looking at the Iowa data, it looks like only the second mechanism (low

ventilation) was causing the higher main floor radon levels. This has me a

bit stumped, because I would think that there would be some differences in

source terms across Iowa. These differences do not show up in the data.

If you take the data at face value, you would have to conclude that some

other factor related to ventilation was the cause for excess cases, not

radon.

There is only a 12% difference in the main floor radon levels between cases

and controls, but there is a 69% difference in the difference between

basement and main floor levels between cases and controls. If I were to

hypothesize on a causal mechanism, I'd pick the 69% effect (ventilation) not

the 12% effect (radon).

> How would I explain it?  It looks like the controls had slightly larger

> houses (more cubic feet) so there could possibly be more dilution of the

> radon in the upper floors.

It would have to be a fairly large difference in house size to explain the

values. We have a model for that situation on our web site (

http://members.shaw.ca/eic/Tools/TwoRoomRadonShort.htm ). You can fool

around with it and see the size difference that is required to explain the

data. (Let the basement be the first chamber and the main floor be the

second chamber.) Was there no matching done for socio-economics?

> Who knows, I would not put to much emphasis on

> averaged data.

I think when you assume LNT, averaged data is quite important because

average risk is supposed to be proportional to average exposure. If the

categorical analysis disagrees with the analysis on averages, it is likely

due to the choices in picking the categories. (It doesn't matter if these

were chosen a priory or not.)

Kai