Re: NCRP Publication 121 and LNT

Friends, Otto, John Johnson,

Well, having been away from the list, I see there's still a lot of nonsense

desperately trying and failing to support the LNT, especially the

non-science-ical radon case-control studies propped up by EPA and its

minions!  I owe a number of response to direct msgs.  Unfortunately, time

right now is severely limited.

But re this msg:  First, John, you won't find a credible study showing the

LNT at low doses, Otto is right - there aren't any!  All actual, credible,

low-dose studies refute the LNT.  A recent one being the Br J Radiol report

on radiologists.

But you can take it also from NCRP-121!?  which states plainly, page 45:

"Few experimental studies, and essentially no human data, can be said to

prove or  **even to provide direct support for the concept**"  And:  "It is

**conceptually possible, but with a vanishingly small probability,**  that

any of these effects could result from the passage of a single charged

particle, causing damage to DNA that could be expressed as a mutation or

small deletion.  It is a result of  **this type of reasoning**  that a

linear non-threshold dose-response relationship  **cannot be excluded. **"

This is pretty dismal for a policy we pretend to be science-based, even

while explicitly ignoring the voluminous data that refute the LNT!

Discussions with NCRP leaders and other rad protection "policy leaders,"

this is clearly another statement that they would/should have expunged, as

they do with many statements that some Committees make (through honesty

accidents :-) . But as NCRP-136 shows, they don't consider such statements

anyway, even to "correct" them.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide