radiation/restenosis

Dear Barbara -

>Okay, now I'm curious, and have to butt in...It's my understanding, and maybe I'm totally misinformed, because I haven't been keeping up with medical radiation research in the last year, but I THOUGHT that radiation WAS effective in preventing restenosis...Isn't that what the Novoste Beta Cath systems are all about?
Brief answer - yes, both animal and human trials have proven that relatively high doses of ionizing radiation (15-30 Gy to tissues in the artery wall) can reduce the rates of occurrence of restenosis. Issues related to long term side effects are not resolved at this time. Longer answer available on request.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 322-3190