Re: Federal Guidance Report No. 11

In a message dated 1/29/02 9:07:28 AM Mountain Standard Time,

liptonw@dteenergy.com writes:

<< I hope  they realize that a successful parasite doesn't kill its host.

 If the project is killed, the money stops.  (This is similar to what

 happened with Shoreham.  When the county and state wouldn't let Shoreham

 operate, LILCO stopped paying real estate taxes on the facility - the

 value of a power plant that can't operate is $0.00.  This had a severe

 impact on the local schools.  Pardon my lack of sympathy.)

 In any event, I doubt that the "oversight" money is anything close to

 the economic benefits of having the facility operate.

Bill, you made my point exactly: Nevada keeps objecting and keeps getting

"oversight" money.  Moreover, if and when construction and operation start,

the state "oversight" will continue.  However, when you compare the economic

benefit of the facility with what the gambling industry brings in to Nevada,

the economic benefit is negligible, as is the "oversight" money.