----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 9:27 AM

Nevada is "so dead set" against Yucca Mountain because the more they oppose the project, the more money they get.  This is an unfortunate and unforeseen side effect of the provision in the 1982 Nuclear Waste Policy Act and the 1987 amendments to that act that DOE is required to fund any oversight activity that the state desires to do, and "oversight activity" can be interpreted quite broadly.  It has nothing to do with "trust."

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com