RE: Why is it....

By that time it was too late.  His speech patterns were formed, and it takes

serious work to correct them. ("The rhine in Spine fawls minely in the

pline" E. Doolittle).  Ruth W. hit it on the head when she mentioned his

Southern roots - that's a common "southernism".

I was corrected early and often by my teachers until I got it right.  But I

still drive my wife batty by asking for a "cup measure" (Which is different

from a measuring cup ... )

Dave Neil

neildm@id.doe.gov