Koop and radon

Dr. Cohen,

I am not sure that the Surgeon General not speaking out was that he did not think radon was a hazard, but rather there was a good bit of confusion years earlier when there was an announcement concerning asbestos, because at the time there was no known way to remediate the problem.  This caused confusion on the part of citizens.   Therefore, as Edelstein's and Makofske's book "Radon's Deadly Daughters" points out, the Public Health Service did not support the EPA until after the seven state study was complete, QC for testing was in place, and mitigation techniques were in place.  Because these steps were delayed, Koop was not directly involved.

But on September 12, 1988 a joint PHS-EPA press conference was held and Assistant Surgeon General Vernon Houk represented the PHS.  Houk was head of the CDC at the time.  Houk and Lee Thomas announced the national advisory which read in part, "Indoor radon gas is a national health problem.  Radon causes thousands of deaths each year.  Millions of homes have elevated radon levels.  Most homes should be tested for radon. When elevated levels are confirmed, the problem should be corrected."

But, I do agree with you.  In the book I noted above, they quote a Steve Page (EPA) interview in which Steve is quoted, "We left the informational approach when the Surgeon General came in.  That was when we came out of the closet.  It caused a tremendous surge after that.  We had a million measures after that.  We'd only had 500,000 before that."

The book also goes into many fascinating details concerning how the 4 pCi/L action limit was arrived at as well as numerous references to you.

The CDC activities on radon include: Co-authoring the nationally disseminated residential radon-information and testing-guidance manual, "A Citizen’s Guide to Radon".  Sponsoring efforts to work toward the Public Health Service’s goal that calls for at least 40% of homes in the U.S. to be tested for the presence of radon. Examined several national strategies for a nationwide residential radon-testing and mitigation program for preventing lung cancer deaths in populations at risk from residential radon exposure (see: http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/brochure/profile_radon.htm).

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/phs145.html

Regards, Bill Field

> Dr. Cohen,
>
> I don't understand your point.

        --I understood your message as a challenge to my statement that
Koop did not issue the statement and did not speak up on it at the time.
If you look at the material below, you will see why. Actually, Koop's
failure to speak out was taken by many of those in the radon
measurement industry as a disappointment, because Koop was quite famous at
that time.
************************************************************************ You are currently subscribed to the Radsafe mailing list. To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu Put the text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe archives at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/