Re: Koop and radon

A good book on the making of Radon policy is "Radon's Deadly Daughters:

Science, Environmental Policy, and Politics of Risk", written by M.

Edelstein (a Psycologist) and W. Makofske (a Physicist), published in 1998.

It offers a very good historical account, although my conclusions from the

book were often opposite of the authors.

A quote from Richard Guimond, a Public Health Service officer assigned to

the EPA who spearheaded the radon program: "Environmental issues generally

require some advocate to force the issue to be selected. The advocates are

usually public interest groups, legislators, victims groups or attorneys.

What is unique about radon is that EPA advocated an issue that did not have

a great constituency outside the agency."

A quote from the book, p. 53: ".. Guimond was quick to realize the

implication of the Watras incident. From the onset, he became the driving

force behind the very construction of the indoor radon issue. There is

reason to believe that geologic radon might never have surfaced as a major

issue had it not been for Guimond's tutelage. The SELLING of the radon

issue to an initially hostile administration reflected moxie in using the

media, tailoring programs, and currying support of the right allies at

crucial junctures. Recognizing the overwhelming resistance to creating

another Superfund-type program in the early Reagan period, Guimond

pragmatically crafted a politically acceptable response to radon. The

program was deliberately made modest so as to not run afoul of the OMB.

Radon's pragmatic quality-that it can be defined as a blameless natural

occurrence having great risk-was played up. Furthermore, radon could be

seen as a private problem beyond the scope of regulation."

[Note #1: The EPA and DOE were both trying to take control of radon issues.

The DOE wanted 20 pCi/L to be the action level. {Advantage: only a few

thousand houses to mitigate. Disadvantage: who pays for mitigation. Cost

for mitigation was about $20,000 per house.} The EPA wanted a 4 pCi/L

action level. {Advantage: 25% of US houses projected to be above this

level, making mitigation viable for private businesses. Homeowners pay for

mitigation. The cost is much less (about $2,000 per house) because of

higher numbers. No federal government money involved except for information

pamphlets and TV ads.}]

[Note #2: The first EPA pamphlet on radon set lung cancer projections from

radon based on smoking synergism for everyone, including non smokers. The

second pamphlet (written in the early 1990's) separates lung cancer

projections for smokers and non-smokers. (In my opinion, the first pamphlet

was based on a false and intentionally alarming premise.)]

[Note #3: Stanley Watras was the NPP worker who set off alarms at the

Limerick NNP when leaving. His house had 22 working levels (4,400 pCi/L) of

radon. Mitigation paid for by the Limerick NPP cost $40,000. Mr. and Mrs.

Watras each have a 50% chance of developing lung cancer according to EPA

estimates. Stanley Watras went into the radon mitigation business and has

been very successful. As of the publication of the book, he was doing very

well.]

[Note #4: One error in the book was that animal data showed lung cancer in

rats down to a few pCi/L. Such a idea might be true if rats lived to be 75

years old. A significant miscalculation.]

Tom

--

Thomas Mohaupt, M.S., CHP

University Radiation Safety Officer

104 Health Sciences Bldg

Wright State University

Dayton, Ohio 45435

tom.mohaupt@wright.edu

(937) 775-2169

(937) 775-3761 (fax)

"An investment in knowledge gains the best interest." Ben Franklin