RE: Removable Contamination Surveys

Your extension of logic seems reasonable for propagating the values.  In

Illinois (as in most agreement states) our requirements are more likely to

be guidelines and are handled on a case by case basis depending on the

facility's past and future projected uses, along with the nuclides and

surfaced involved particularly if an unrestricted release is being

requested.  On the other hand if its for determining an action level for

corrective steps for areas where RAM will continue to be used then we may be

headed in another direction.  Above all the, IMHO, the question should be

asked, what is the reason for performing the monitoring?  Do you really need

a 'quantitative answer where a qualitative answer will suffice? (go/no go

vs. strict compliance issue)

As far as the 'standard area' is concerned, I'm sure there's a history

there,  (like the now infamous 8 inch "S" that allot of us were trained to

perform.) however, I'm afraid I don't have the background to get your answer

for you.

The thoughts expressed are mine, mine, all mine!

I'm with the government, I'm here to help........

Daren Perrero, Health Physicist

perrero@idns.state.il.us