What's New for Feb 01, 2002

Robert Park touches on some nuclear-related issues this week, including

containment-dome strength (#4).  I agree with him that Sandia should

have been more forthcoming about the design of the test.

--Susan Gawarecki

WHAT'S NEW   Robert L. Park   Friday, 1 Feb 02   Washington, DC

1. SUMMER INTERN: THE APS WASHINGTON OFFICE HAS AN OPENING.  We

need a physics major with great writing skills and a genius IQ to

spend eight to ten weeks in Washington battling the forces of

ignorance.  The starting date is negotiable, but we're inflexible

on the genius thing.  Write victoria@aps.org for details.  We'll

need a resume, writing sample and two references by March 29.

2. MISSILE-DEFENSE: SHIP-LAUNCHED INTERCEPTOR HITS DUMMY TARGET.

Or was that, "dumb interceptor hits dumber target"?  Missile

defense proponents crowed that we now have all the components of

a national missile shield.  But an official quoted by AP said the

test "wasn't meant to determine if a ship-based interceptor could

intercept an enemy missile under realistic conditions."  The

target, after all, had a homing beacon.  To be part of a layered

national defense, WN was told, an interceptor would have to be

at least twice as fast.  As one defense expert explained, "we're

now closer to a missile-defense shield to the extent that we're

closer to the moon when we stand on a step ladder."

3. ITER: A SECOND LOOK AT THE TURBULENT INTERNATIONAL PROGRAM?

John Marburger, President Bush's science advisor, thinks U.S.

participation in the International Thermonuclear Experimental

Reactor should be reconsidered.  Congress directed DOE to pull

out of the project three years ago in the midst of disagreements

over the site, escalating costs, and scientific concerns that

plasma turbulence would make ignition impossible.  However, the

partners have since redesigned the device to meet scientific

objections, while scaling the cost down from $10B to $4.2B.  It

still remains to be seen if agreement can be reached on a site.

4. TERRORISM: COULD NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS WITHSTAND 9-11 ATTACKS?

Maybe you saw it on 60-Minutes or the evening news: a film of a

plane crashing into a massive concrete wall.  It disintegrates in

a fireball, but the wall is barely scratched.  Hill staffers were

shown the film at an ASME briefing by R.E. Nickell, "an expert on

nuclear power."  "Nuclear power structures," Nickell puffed, "are

very rugged and robust."  The implications were obvious, and most

American's breathed a little easier.  But it wasn't the wall of a

containment dome.  Paul Leventhal, the President of the Nuclear

Control Institute, points out that the test, conducted by Sandia

Labs in 1988, used a wall 12 feet thick compared with 3.5 foot

thick containment domes.  The purpose of the test was not to test

the strength of the wall, but to measure the impact forces.  The

wall, therefore, was designed to move, and was displaced 6 feet

by the impact.  Wait, there's more, the plane was a Phantom jet

fighter weighing about 5% as much as a jumbo jet airliner.  Its

fuel tanks were filled with water to measure "fuel" dispersion.

Sandia made no attempt to clear up the misleading reports.

THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND and THE AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY

Opinions are the author's and are not necessarily shared by the

University or the American Physical Society, but they should be.

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

Please visit our Web site - http://www.local-oversight.org