Re: Stop the madness/Education... Natural radiation... Doses

>tailored to frighten the heck out of people. How many of you have ever

>explained what a curie is to a sincere-sounding antinuclear activist in

>private, only to hear that same person later tell in dramatic tones a

>shocked legislative committee holding a public hearing that a curie is

>"thirty-seven BILLION(!)...DISINTEGRATIONS(!) ....per SECOND(!!!)"

---

Try to get the natural radiation published in the contexts - the related

doses. Or just how many disintegrations their own bodies experience per day

(132 pound person as an example, 0,454 kg = 1 pound):

60 kg * 100 (Bq/100 kg) * 24 * 3600 = ______ (integrations per 24 hour day)

It is our responsibility as radiation professionals to try to get through

with these messages. In addition, check your kids' textbooks in physics &

chemistry to make sure that they learn about natural radiation. If the

natural radioactivity is not there (some books from around 1960 have

eleveated cesium levels :-) - just act in the best way!

There will never be an end to these scarytales unless we do something - many

panic oriented newsmedia people seem to hate natural radioactivity - it has

sometimes been first priority to delete (or delay) those paragraphs when I

have written something. Just don't give up.

My personal ideas only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/