Re: YUCCA YUCCA YUCCA

In a message dated 2/2/02 10:08:05 PM Mountain Standard Time, JPreisig@AOL.COM writes:

         I had heard out here on the East Coast that some of the modelling
    and simulations were not as good as they good be.  Perhaps this is
    just a comment generated by the press.

One can always find a "better model" or at least a model purported to be better.  My brief acquantance with the hydrological models and better acquaintance with the geochemical models incidacates that they are verified models (you can't validate over 10,000 years!) and that they are models of well-established hydrological and chemical equations.    Saying "there are better ones" sounds litke one of those throwaway anti-nuke sayings that make good sound bites.

        Good Luck with your research and work.  I hope Yucca Mountain
   opens some day and starts to receive waste, once all is in order at the
   site.  So, tell me, Dr. Ruth, when will the site be open to receive
   reactor spent fuel???   Is it one year, 10 years, 20 years, etc.????
   Will you be retired before all this happens????

The DEIS projects opening in 2010.  Given the expected delays,my guess (which is purely a WAG) is that if Yucca Mountain opens, it will be during the decade after 2010.

I'm "retired" from a couple of jobs now.  I intend to keep working as long as people are willing to pay me.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com