Re: What's New for Feb 01, 2002

In my admittedly limited experience with Hill staffers, it wouldn't

surprise me if the answer to your questions below was "yes."  The ones I

have talked to are politicos, with no real interest in or understanding

of technical issues.  Their number one concern is protecting their

bosses' *sses.  I'm a big supporter of the various technical societies'

(including ANS) efforts to have interns placed in staffer positions each

year.

Robert Park is a well-regarded physicist and author of "Voodoo Science."

I have confidence that he commented on what there was to report. I think

he would have been most interested in the RadSafe discussions on the

issue that have been held.  The key line in his analysis, symptomatic of

DOE's refusal to engage activists and defend their its technical

position is "Sandia made no attempt to clear up the misleading reports."

Regards,

Susan