Re: Stop the madness

HI Bill,

I've been following this discussion, of course, hadn't had time to answer. This 'anti' appreciates the folks who have posted and said 'no' to restricting

information. There has been a number of posts, like John J's NRC budget posting, that are useful information to people on all "sides" of the nuclear power

issue. Whether radsafers believe it or not, I'm not here to "steal plays" from your playbook, but to listen and learn, and hopefully have some

consstructive dialogue.

Much of what you've been discussing comes down to public perception of nuclear power.  In my experience, most people, without any prompting from us

'anti's, have a uneasiness about nuclear power. I'm not sure what "pro-nukers" can do about that.

On the other hand, a Martian reading all these posts would assume that the 'anti's had won the battle and that nuclear power was dead. And that is

certainly not my perception. Yes, the 'anti's were able to get some of the real clunkers, like Maine Yankee, shut down several years ago. But times have

changed. Take Oyster Creek (please!) for example. Financially, because Exelon bought Oyster for pennies on the dollar, there no longer is any enducement

to shut the plant down, even with it's many problems. Anti's, even with the support of Robt Kennedy Jr, and other big wheels, can't seem to clsoe down

that big clunker, Indian Point. Even the 911 events and Pres Bush's mention of nukes as terrorist targets hasn't prompted the Administration of Congress

to phase out nukes in favor of alternatives.

   So what I'm saying is that the remaining nuke plants and companies do indeed have a great deal of power.

   A couple of other points. I continue to marvel at radsafers concerns about 'anti's actually earning a living doing anti-nuke work, and considering this

earning a lving to be somehow evil. You seem to imply that unless anti-nukers work as volunteers, that our motives are suspect. This is just silly.

Besides the fact that most of us make peanuts for salaries, the fact that we get paid is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether or not what anti-nukers

say is accurate. I certainly don't see you all asking the much better paid NEI staff to work as volunteers. And I would never criticize any of your

personal statements because you happen to work in the nuke industry.

     B. Cohen and others are correct that politics, media, and message play an important role in perception of nukes. And thats not the fault of the

'anti's either, its just the reality of todays world.  More of you should be like Maury, who rather than just complain, actually takes the time to write a

letter to the editor. You are all very intelligent folks - there are many ways you could influence public debate and public perception of nuclear power.

If any of you live near the Atlantic City area and want to pariticpate in a pro/anti  forum at our local college,

email em and we'll work out a fair and balanced event.

Finally, I appreciate the continued welcome to this forum given to me by Bill Lipton, Sandy Perle and others.

What makes this country so special is freedom of expression, and respect for opposing views.

If you want my resposne to other posting in this thread, feel free to email me as well.

Peace,

Norm

--

Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer

machine);  ncohen12@home.com  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:  http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:

http:/www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for Peace and Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.

"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you; Then you win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin Carpenter)