Re: HP Position Available in Texas

The cost of living in the SF Bay Area is probably

twice that of most areas in Texas.  It's got to be 1

1/2 times the somewhat higher cost of living in Austin

and Houston.  Thus, $100K in the Bay area is more like

$65-70K in most other places, simply because mortgage

or rent for even a small house or an apartment is

_several_ $thousand a month ($3300-$5,000) in SF Bay

Area, whereas mortgage or rent in Austin TX probably

isn't more than $1800 a month unless it's a big house.

That being said, however, I find it very refreshing

that people in HP ask for what they're worth.

I wish people in all areas of the sciences [speaking

of biology, here] knew how to ask for what they're

worth.  Unfortunately, there are lots of postdoc

biologists out there who still think that $35K is a

'great' salary, for the 'privilege' of working in

their field, and that holds salaries down in some

fields....

~Ruth 2 aka Ruth Sponsler

http://greetings.yahoo.com