leventhal on nuke security and Yucca - CNN

Leventhal, as before, takes the middle road, and not surprisingly, supports

Yucca with some reservations...

norm

> Dumping Ground Debate: Paul Leventhal

   (Leventhal is the Director of the Nuclear Control Institute)

> [...]

>                  actually overcome the escort and are in a position to use

> explosives on the highly

>                  radioactive spent fuel.

>                  NEXT@CNN: How bad could the radiation threat be?

>                  Levanthal: A successful attack on a plant -- meaning that

> the core melts down, and

>                  the containment is breached so there is a pathway out of

> the plant for the highly

>                  radioactive plume -- you could have hundreds of fatalities

> within 10 miles of the

>                  plant. And within 50 to 100 miles of the plant, you could

> have tens of thousands to

>                  hundreds of thousands of fatalities from cancer over the

> long term. And the

>                  downwind path for these types of causalities could extend

> for hundreds of miles.

>                  NEXT@CNN: Can spent fuel be used for dirty bombs?

>                  Levanthal: The biggest dirty bomb conceivable is the

> successful sabotage of a

>                  nuclear power plant. That's the ultimate dirty bomb. And

> that, of course, is the

>                  ultimate nuclear terrorism threat -- that terrorists could

> obtain atom bomb material

>                  or even a stolen weapon and detonate it. I am afraid that

> that's something we have

>                  to be concerned about as well.

>                  NEXT@CNN: Any reason not to be depressed?

>                  Levanthal: Well, I think there are reasons not to be

> depressed, but it's going to take

>                  some action. One is nuclear power plants probably can be

> adequately protected

>                  with military resources. But it's gonna take troops, not

> state police, and not the

>                  "rent a cop" guard forces that are often in place at these

> plants. The industry and

>                  the NRC talk about highly professionalized, well-paid

> paramilitary forces protecting

>                  the plants. The truth of the matter is that these plants

> are often protected by

>                  rent-a-cops whose salaries start at about eight or nine

> dollars an hour. So it's a

>                  situation not unlike what you find at airports, where you

> find the poorest paid

>                  employees are those checking your baggage before you get

> on a flight. That has to

>                  be corrected promptly.

>                  RELATED SITES:

>                  • The Yucca Mountain Project

>                  • Eureka County, Nevada Nuclear Waste Page

>                  • EPLevanthal: Yucca Mountain

>                  • Yucca Mountain Facts.org

>                  • USGS: Yucca Mountain Geophysical Studies

>                  • The Study Committee

>                  Note: Pages will open in a new browser window

>                  External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.

>                  TECHNOLOGY TOP STORIES:

>                  • Study: Honda's Insight rated 'greenest' car

>                  • GAO: Key government computers remain vulnerable

>                  • Intel, others, show advances at chip conference

>                  • High-tech teams to be sent to developing nations

>                  • Royal backing for Antarctic restoration project

>   Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr

> Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer

"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you; Then you

win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin Carpenter)