Re: Bush budget for DOE increases for renewables, but nost of budget is for nuke weapons

Hi Susan,

Comments below:

Susan L Gawarecki wrote:

> norm wrote:

> > Please note the line that says that most of the increased spending goes

> > to nuke weapons....

> Norm's statement (and the news article) is overly simplistic

--- Darn! I thought it was short and to the point. ;-)  ---

--- well, of course we want better security.----------,

> , upgrading of old facilities

> that are currently in poor repair and unsafe for workers,

--- as opposed to shutting them down? yes, of course we want the workers to work in safe conditions --

> nonproliferation activities such as assisting Russia in managing or

> dismantling its nuclear weapons (more good news for the anti's)

--- Very good news. Yes, agree with you 100% ---

> ,

> permanently dismantling weapons (isn't this what you want?),

---sure do! ---

---- Not too sure about that. Would rather just dispose of the stuff. ---

> and refurbishing

> aging nuclear weapons that are to remain in the US arsenal (after all,

> don't you want them to be reliable and safe wherever they are kept?).

---  Oh Susan, you were doing so well until now! Its the old "Stockpile Stewardship game". No, do NOT refurbish "aging" weapons, just get rid of them.

It seems to me that our weapons folks know darn well

that our nuclear bombs will go boom and vaporize a city. Can a "refurbished" weapon vaporize better? ---

> Showing support for the activities that support your agenda might make

> your input more broadly accepted.  Right now the ANA (and affiliates)

> just look like "anti-nuclear anything."

---- We're not an affiliate of ANA.  I was just pointing out that the Dept of Energy should be in the Energy business, not the nuke weapons business.

I want to see more of the DOE budget working on renewables,  (see DOE's EREN news). ---

> peace

norm

--

Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer

machine);  ncohen12@home.com  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:  http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:

http:/www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for Peace and Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.

"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you; Then you win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin Carpenter)