To Norm Cohen

Norm,

*	and refurbishing

*	aging nuclear weapons that are to remain in the US arsenal (after

all,

*	don't you want them to be reliable and safe wherever they are

kept?).

you replied:

		- ---  Oh Susan, you were doing so well until now! Its the

old "Stockpile Stewardship game". No, do NOT refurbish "aging" weapons, just

get rid of them.

		It seems to me that our weapons folks know darn well

		that our nuclear bombs will go boom and vaporize a city. Can

a "refurbished" weapon vaporize better? ---

Let me just say from experience that your assertion is just plain wrong.

Stockpile stewardship is absolutely necessary assuming we have reason to

retain any weapons.  There may be much you know about nuclear generating

stations, but there is much that you don't know about the weapons business.

Bates Estabrooks

Facility Safety-EUO Restart

BWXT Y-12

Oak Ridge, TN 37831