Re: Cohen's Refutation of LNT

Kai,

We published an ecologic study very early on before we followed up with a

case control study.

: Health Phys 1994 Mar;66(3):263-9 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut

Residential radon exposure and lung cancer: evidence of an urban factor in

Iowa.

Neuberger JS, Lynch CF, Kross BC, Field RW, Woolson RF.

Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Kansas School of Medicine,

Kansas City 66160-7313.

An ecological study of lung cancer, cigarette smoking, and radon exposure

was conducted in 20 Iowa counties. County-based lung cancer incidence data

for white female residents of Iowa were stratified according to radon level

and smoking status. Cancer incidence data for the period 1973-1990 were

obtained from the State Health Registry of Iowa. Smoking level was

determined from a randomly mailed survey. Radon level was determined

according to an EPA supported charcoal canister survey. Within low smoking

counties, rates for all lung cancer and small cell carcinoma were

significantly lower (p < 0.05) in the high radon counties relative to the

medium and low radon counties. However, within high smoking counties, rates

for all lung cancer, adenocarcinoma, and small cell carcinoma were

significantly higher (p < 0.05) in the high radon counties relative to the

low radon counties. Variations in socioeconomic data for these counties,

available through the 1980 and 1990 census, did not explain these results.

Lung cancer rates also were significantly increased in urban counties even

after holding smoking status constant. Multivariate analyses revealed

significant interactions between smoking, urbanization, radon levels, and

lung cancer. The results of this hypothesis generating study will be tested

in a case/control study now ongoing in Iowa. Analysis will need to include

separate evaluations by smoking status, radon level, and residence in urban

or rural areas for the major morphologic types of lung cancer.

Regards, Bill