Re: dose limits for members of the public

Dear Franz,

I agree with you, the Communication  (Official Journal of the European Communities   30.4.98) concerning the implementation of Council Directive 96/29/Euratom laying down basic safety standards for the protection of the health of the workers and the general public against the dangers arising from ionizing radiation in its article, 54, states:

Article 54

Under Article 33(3) of the Euratom Treaty, the Member States are required to communicate to the Commission any draft legislative, regulatory and administrative provision intended to ensure compliance with the basic safety standards. As a result of Article 54 of the Directive, in the case a Member State is to adopt stricter dose limits, it has also to inform the other Member States. The Commission would normally be notified under Article 33 of the Treaty.

 I do believe the Bjorn's remarks were to the application of Dose constraints.  Dose constraints may be established and used according sources as help for optimizing protection in the design or in the planning stage. Authorities, particularly in the context of public exposure, may also establish them. They may be matters for discussions case by case and authorities, specially where transitory and prolonged exposures are combined. A guide on the utilization of Considerations of the Concept of Dose Constraints was written by a joint group of experts from the OECD Nuclear Energy Agency and from the European Commission, published by the OECD in 1996. I do believe is a very important document to help professionals and users to understand the meaning and Regulatory Authority to apply the concept. If colleagues wish a copy, please send me a pvt e-mail and I'll send a pdf format by separate e-mail. -

 Finally, as you mention, The Directive has decreased the effective dose limit for members of the public from 5mSv to 1mSv in a year; in special circumstances, a higher effective dose may be authorized in a single year, provided that the average over five consecutive years does not exceed 1mSv per year.

So, in terms of dose limits better to discuss 100 mrem x 500 mrem, this is the real fact of limit!

Regards

Jose Julio Rozental
Israel