Re: Does limits to the public

I believe that the way NCRP phrases it, it IS a 25 mRem limit.  Taking

it bit by bit:

>"whenever the potential exists for exposure of an individual member of the

>public to exceed 25% of the annual effective dose limit as a result of

>irradiation attributable to a single site,

This means any site where Joe could stand there every day for a year and

get more than 25 mRem.  Thats probably better than 75% of existing

sites, medical or otherwise.

>the site operator should ensure

>that the annual exposure of the maximally exposed individual, from all

>man-made exposures, does not exceed 1mSv on a continuous basis.

This part seems to have been deliberately phrased to render compliance

impossible.  There is no way to ensure any such thing.  It should read

instead, "Just skip to the next part."

>Alternatively, if such an assessment is not conducted, no single source or

>set of sources under one control should result in an individual being

>exposed to more than 0.25 mSv annually."

i.e., just keep it under 25 and nobody will get hurt.

	Gary Isenhower

	713-798-8353

	garyi@bcm.tmc.edu