Re: News on BNL Deer

The following information may provide a different perspective on

radioactivity in game taken from a large DOE reservation with many

different contaminated sites.

In past years (though not this season, due to security concerns), deer

hunting has been allowed on the Oak Ridge Reservation on a limited

access basis (permits and special hunt days).  Deer taken from the ORR

are screened for radioactivity and their livers are taken.  Typically, 1

to 2% of the deer are confiscated.

>From TDEC's DOE Oversight Division:  "The division's Environmental

Monitoring and Compliance Program oversaw and monitored the fall 2000

deer hunt on the ORR. Each deer was brought in and its weight, age, and

sex were recorded. Of the 370 deer killed on the reservation, five were

confiscated because of contamination. The most prevalent contaminants

found in the deer are cesium-137, a gamma emitter known to accumulate in

body tissue, and strontium-90, a beta emitter known to accumulate in

bone.  External scans for radiation were performed by either ORNL or the

division until 1996. These were discontinued because external

contamination has not been found since the hunts began."

Geese are also rounded up for screening from around the ORR to test for

radioactivity.  In 1998 several contaminated animals were found, leading

to stricter controls on the access of geese to contaminated sites.

Annual tests since then have not found any geese with contamination

above the limit, either on or off the ORR.

>From TDEC's DOE Oversight Division:  "The June 2001 goose roundup

surveyed 232 geese (160 adults and 72 goslings) captured at four sites:

ETTP, ORNL, Union Valley Road, and Solway Boat Ramp. Of the 160 adult

geese captured, 59 were recaptures from previous years. Whole body scans

for gamma radioactivity were conducted externally on a representative

sample of the geese at ETTP and ORNL. Of the 39 geese scanned at ETTP,

the greatest individual count was 0.34 picocuries per gram. Of 49 geese

scanned at ORNL, the maximum activity found was 0.88 picocuries per gram

on one individual. One goose from each sampling site was sacrificed for

tissue analysis.  All were well below the administrative release limit

of 5 picocuries per gram of cesium-137. The background level of

cesium-137 in Canada Geese is about 0.3 picocuries per gram."

Turkey hunting has been recently introduced.  From TDEC's DOE Oversight

Division:  "The ORNL BMAP conducted turkey hunt assessments twice in

April 2001. At the first event, 22 adults and seven juveniles were

surveyed.  Based on radiological analysis conducted at the hunt check

station, one of these was retained due to internal contamination. This

was the first bird retained since the start of the hunt assessments in

1999. The second hunt produced 18 adults and seven juveniles.  None

showed evidence of internal contamination. As with geese from the ORR,

the administrative release limit is 5 picocuries per gram of

cesium-137."

Hunting is an established east Tennessee cultural tradition.  The ORR is

valued as large undeveloped tract with excellent wildlife habitat, and

there is heavy competition for the special permits.  The threat of

contamination does not seem to deter these hunters.  In fact, there was

a recent arrest of three hunters (including a juvenile) who had cut a

fence, trespassed, and who were poaching in the off-season.  I assume

they had no intention of having that deer screened.

Regards,

Susan

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

We've moved!  Please note our new address:

102 Robertsville Road, Suite B, Oak Ridge, TN 37830