Re: Meeting public demand

To save space, I won't repeat Jerry's post about democracy.  However, let me remind everyone that we do not elect the NRC or the EPA Administrator.  Both are appointed by the Executive, although NRC Commissioners have terms that overlap administrations and do not come and go with each administration.  Both NRC and the EPA Administrator (and several deputies, etc) are confirmed by the Senate.  Perhaps the next time round (and there should be another NRC appointment coming up) we shoud (1) suggest names to our Senators and to the President and, more effectively, (2) see that the questions of BRC and the LNT are raised at confirmation hearings.  I know that both New Mexcio Senators Domenici (R) and Bingaman (D) would be receptive, and I am sure others would be also (I despair a bit about California, though).

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com