Re: Meeting public demand

The question is flawed:

> >Why is it that on interest rate policy Congress (public) seeks input from

> >bankers, but on energy policy or stem cell research Congress seeks advice

> >from priests, actors and super models?

For example, if Congress seeks input only from bankers, why would interest

rates ever be low?  On any issue Congressmen will seek any input that will

tend to enhance or support the argument that they wish to make.  Some input

always comes with the initial presentation of an issue.  There is no way to

present an issue without also presenting influence.  In most cases,

Congressmen establish a position on an issue as they are first hearing it,

as most people do.  After all, thinking on their feet and quickly responding

to the actions and statements of others is a strong determiner for becoming

a Congressman.  If they do not establish a position in such a matter,

because they are too bored by it to care, they leave it for their staff,

constituents, supporters or party leaders to create a postion for them.  In

the really rare cases where nobody then provides them with a postion, they

may seek input from bankers, priests, actors, super-models or anybody else

who they know or who forces themselves upon them (their loan officer, their

own pastor, limo drivers, bartenders, people sitting next to them on an

airplane, etc.).  If ten super-models called a Congressman about interest

rate policy, we would see at least one super-model giving public testimony

to Congress on interest rate policy.  Especially if that super-model was

willing to read lines that would support that Congressman's position on the

issue.  Part of the reason we would see it is because TV stations get a

better visual effect from supermodels than they do from bankers.  The other

reason is becasue the Congressmen know that super-models have a public

following, while bankers do not.

Every issue at the federal level is seen as a political issue:  "What stand

on this issue will get me the most votes: or, if a lot of votes won't be

influenced, the most campaign contributions?"  Public reaction determines

the answer to that question.  "Opinion leaders" help shape public reaction;

that is the political value of priests, actors, super-models, "public

interest" groups, union leaders, etc.  They all have public followings and

some can deliver votes.   If you want your postion to prevail on an issue

before a government body, you have to have a public following at least as

large as the opposition's public following.  That generally means you have

to have some "opinion leaders" on your side.  Personally, I would prefer a

gang of super-models.  How many smart Congressmen do you think would say,

"I am going to be on TV just before the election, get me a bunch of wise old

college professors to stand around me, I don't care what they look like, and

I especially don't care if the public has ever heard any of their names

before"?

Don Kosloff dkosloff1@msn.com

2910 Main Street, Perry OH 44081