Re: Meeting public demand

In a democracy, public "demands" are embodied in our laws by definition.

These laws move rather slowly and may or may not coincide with current

public "opinion," which is more volatile, nor are they always based on

sound science.

Therefore, if a practice like releasing radioactive material to the

environment doesn't violate law, it is in accordance with public demands.

I, for one, do not agree with trying to accomodate the rantings of

uninformed vocal minorities, nor do I think we will get anywhere by basing

national policies (nuclear or otherwise) on internet polls.

Of course, it is appropriate to hear and try to accomodate minority views.

But our slow moving bureaucracy is still the best way of distilling what

the majority demands and inching forward as opposed to being yanked in all

directions by the "public opinion du jour" and getting nowhere.

>From a public health perspective, our current laws regarding releases of

radioactive materials are extremely conservative, regardless of what the

"one-atom-is-too-much" bunch believes.  As these laws evolve, their degree

of scientific soundness and practicality in the future depends on how well

informed the public and our legislators are.  And if they don't get their

information from us, guess who will provide it?

Vincent King,

in Idaho Falls (and cold)