Re: Meeting public demand

Laws are not made by administrative agencies (NRC, EPA, etc.).

Agencies make regulations that are intended to fit the articulable

purpose of the law. However, these agency regulations have the same

effect as law.

Public opinion or demand does not always result in changes in the

law. For example, most folks seem to want the laws to change so as to

deal more swiftly with terrorists; however, changes that would

decrease constitutionally assured protections are not going to stand

(even if passed, the courts will overturn them). Therefore, to make

some changes to laws to meet public demands would also require a

constitutional amendment.

Finally, changes in law do not move slowly - these changes can be

VERY VERY fast. For example, the "laws" against abortion were

universally overruled on the day that the Roe v. Wade decision was

upheld. In fact, law changes so fast that lawyers often need to check

on decisions on a daily basis to be sure that what they are using is

still "good law." They are held responsible to know the law even if

only changed yesterday due to a court decision ("judge made law").

Paul Lavely <lavelyp@uclink4.berkeley.edu>