Contamination found in deer

I never saw any further discussion regarding the cesium-137 contamination

in the fawn at Brookhaven related to typical environmental monitoring

program requirements.  Maybe such programmatic controls are different (or

don't exist) in the DOE world, but I suspect that detection of 21 pCi/gm

Cs-137 found in an animal as part of a commercial nuclear power plant Part

50-required radiological environmental monitoring program (REMP) would

likely trigger a special report to the NRC.

Refer to NUREG-1301, the standard radiological effluent controls that

require a report for marine animals or "food products" (terrestrial animals

are not specifically listed in the standard specifications) whenever Cs-137

is detected at greater than 2 pCi/gm (the table lists 2000 pCi/kg wet

weight).  Such a finding would indicate that effluent controls are weak or

ineffective.  Hence, such a find would support Bill Lipton's contention

that some programmatic failure occurred at the facility.

Now, I don't believe there is any real risk to the public, but those are

the rules established in Part 50-space to ensure there isn't any

"measurable impact" on the environment or potential harm to the public.

Eric M. Goldin, CHP

<goldinem@songs.sce.com>