RE: ARTICLE: Fallout likely caused 15,000 deaths

For everybody's info,

I looked at this website, and wanted to add some insight that may be

helpful.  The person making the statement was taking nuclear accident

response training at Kirtland Air Force Base (also the home of Sandia

National Labs, but this training is conducted by the military, not Sandia).

As part of that training, there are some outdoor exercise areas that were

intentionally contaminated with low levels of rad material (I think thorium,

but not sure), and with simulated airplane or helicopter crashes.  Sealed

sources were then used to create hotspots for the students to find.  The

statement quoted below, and the discussion on the website, should have been

put into the proper context.  There is no connection between these areas and

global fallout, as suggested here.

As of the last I knew a few years ago, some of those drill areas were still

in use.  They are fenced, posted, and regularly monitored, and create no

hazard to anybody, except for the student that must dress out in double

anti-c's and respirators on a hot summer afternoon to enter the area.  And

yes, those really were heat waves he was seeing - Albuquerque is a desert at

an elevation of about 5,000 feet, and the waves are quite obvious in the

summer.

Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP

National Nuclear Security Administration, DOE

< Douglas.Minnema@nnsa.doe.gov <mailto:Douglas.Minnema@nnsa.doe.gov> >