Re: Disposal of Smoke Detectors

10 CFR 30.20 exempts the end users of "gas and aerosol detectors containing

product material" from the requirements of 10 CFR 20 and 10 CFR 30, if the

detector was initially was manufactured and distributed under 10 CFR 32.26.

This generally means that the end user can dispose of domestically manufactured

smoke detectors that have been distributed as exempt units, without being

subject to NRC regulation.  This interpretation is confirmed in HPPOS-150,

"Disposal Requirements for Specific and Exempt Licensed Smoke Detectors."  This

states:  "...Imported smoke detectors possessed under a specific license must be

returned to the manufacturer.  A licensee who possesses detectors distributed as

exempt items is exempt from regulatory requirements regarding the smoke

detectors, and they may be disposed of as ordinary trash."

The one thing to be careful of is to avoid any disassembly of the devices.  Some

well-meaning, but clueless individual may decide to remove the sources as a

volume reduction effort.   If you do this, you lose the exemption, and will

probably have to ship the sources in a Type B cask to a licensed disposal

facility.  If there's anyone around who's inclined to do this, be sure to tell

him, "Don't just do something, stand there."

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Let's look at the real problem, for a change.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com