Re: Disposal of Smoke Detectors

In a message dated 3/5/02 6:13:51 AM Pacific Standard Time, RXQ@Y12.doe.gov writes:

We have 100 non-working smoke detectors that contain Am-241 sources.  Anyone
know the proper disposal method?

Thanks,

Randy Redmond
BWXT Y-12 L.L.C.
Y-12 National Security Complex

Seems to me that if you had one at home and it didn't work, you would replace it and throw the old one away in the trash. You certainly wouldn't take it to work at Y12 and then try to get rid of it through the radiation safety bureaucracy.

My point is that these things are licensed in the first place with the expectation that they will be discarded individually and be buried in a landfill one by one.  As soon as you aggregate them together AND if you are a licensee or DOE body then the situation is different.  Good luck.  Let us know what you do.

John Andrews
Knoxville, Tennessee