Re: Colorado natural background levels - what are the numbers?

I wonder if this relatively simple project has ever

been done in Colorado?

~Ruth 2

Yes Ruth it has been done.  Here are some numbers:

*Denver - 17 uR/hr

*Central City - 34 uR/hr (actually 6.8 km east of the Eisenhower tunnel on

I-70 this was the highest)

*Aspen - No numbers but 19 uR/hr near Vail at I-70 and Highway 24

*Leadville - altitude, altitude, altitude :-) - No numbers

*Crested Butte - 22 uR/hr

*Grand Junction or close thereabouts - 6.3 uR/hr I-70 at Co/Utah border

(this was the lowest)

Mean of 32 measurements was 14 +/- 10 uR/hr

These are outdoor measurements from:

State Background Radiation Levels:

Results of Measurements Taken During 1975-1979

Oak Ridge National Laboratory

ORNL/TM-7343

Published November 1981

Thomas A. Conley, RRPT, CHP

Public Health Physicist, Radiation and Asbestos Control

email: tconley@kdhe.state.ks.us